Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Week 7 Day 119 I call myself "vaj-mező" nővér (literally butter-field)

21 May 2013

Sziasztok!

Sorry I didn't email anyone yesterday! It was a holiday here (Pentecost, in English, I think?)

To answer some questions: "Debrecen is good! Yeah, there’s just one branch in the whole city and it’s pretty small. I guess it’s set up to be the stake center in a long time when they make the East Stake. But, the West will become a stake first. By the looks of it, it'll probably (hopefully) be really soon."

Hmm…This week I've actually been reading a lot about President Hinckley after hearing about President Monson's wife (which we were shocked to find out about, it’s weird not being part of the world and using the internet and watching TV). And, I found this little thing that was released in the Ensign/Liahona in 2008 about President Hinckley when he passed away and it’s been really cool to read and it just made me miss him. I feel like he was my prophet, even he was the third prophet since I was born.

Hmm, it’s super different to be in a…duo (?) instead of a trio. We have gotten really close and we get along really well, which is really really nice. It’d be awful to have to live, work and literally be with someone 24/7 when you don’t get along and can’t have fun, because the mission work is already hard and scary enough. Luckily I got lucky again this transfer. We've also been working on like giving me more responsibility, because we're pretty sure that I'll go senior next transfer or sometime really soon. Sooo, this week I made all of the phone calls and set up all of the programs for the week! Craziness! Don't ask me how I did it. Haha. Actually, it wasn't even bad at all, so that's good. Also, I have started leading the way to get to programs and stuff because Sister Perkins will probably leave next transfer and I'll have to know my way around. I lead our entire program this morning and planned it all by myself. Yikes. Haha but it went well. Hmm...yeah, and mostly I just get to talk a lot more in programs and people actually listen to me and a get lots of comments on my Hungarian, which I think is funny because I can't take those compliments seriously and usually I think people are just trying to make me feel good and that my Hungarian is actually awful. But, who knows. Haha it’s a nice gesture.

The word was really nice this week! We keep getting invited to eat at people’s houses and things like that, which I guess isn’t super normal here. I feel like I'll probably be here in Debrecen for a while, because I actually feel part of the group here and I've been getting along with people here super well. Everyone’s so cute and nice!
Ha! So funny story! Guess what I did yesterday! I told my companion that everyone would get a kick out of it back home, but…I CUT MY COMPANIONS HAIR! What! She’s a licensed cosmetologist (I don’t know how to spell that still) and she SRILL let me cut her hair! Also, I guess she really actually liked him, because she wants me to do it again, closer to transfers but shorter next time so that it stays healthy longer. Yikes. I would not just give anyone scissors and tell them to cut my hair if they’d never done it before. Hahaha but, at least she walked me through steps.

Another funny story, here I introduce myself a lot of time as "vaj-mező" nővér (literally butter-field) because people have a really hard time saying and remembering my name and people who speak a little bit of English love it because it helps them remember it. And people who don’t speak English, it’s just easier and they think it’s hilarious and always ask what a butter field is anyway and what it looks like. Haha

It’s been a looong week, but it’s been good! We got standard! We also put someone on bap date and we're setting another date this week, when the lady gets back to us, so the work is moving along here. It’s weird because Debrecen is a huge melting pot! Here's how I explained it to someone else: " it’s the second biggest in the country (I was just serving in the biggest), but it’s so much different than Budapest. people are so much nicer here and it’s like a huge melting pot and half the people we actually teach in English right now and we always run into people from everywhere like china, England, the USA, Israel, Nigeria." It’s a really interesting change and we meet such cool people here, sometimes it’s funny when we try to speak to them in Hungarian and they’re just like uhhh, do you speak English? Haha. Most of them are either refugees or they’re here for college.

Okay, my time’s about up, but tell me about real life! I love you all!

vaj-mező nővér

No comments:

Post a Comment