Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Week 46: Day 392: A Tough Week

February 18, 2014

Hey!

Well... transfer calls came, once again. During the weekend, we both started thinking that I was getting transferred out and I was pretty ready to leave. But, I woke up this morning and just had a really strong feeling that we were staying together. A couple hours later, we got the call and... we're staying together for the next four weeks and then we'll deal with these ridiculous transfer calls once again. Four weeks later we'll have another mid-transfer-transfer and five weeks later will be the normal transfer. I think by that time, we won't have any more mini-transfers; at least that's the plan. Things will settle down, right in time for my dying transfer. Hahaha, so it actually won't affect me at all.

How was my week, you might ask? Well, I'll just say, we got dogged (or cancelled on, with less than an hour’s notice) 10 times. That's more programs than we had ended up having this week. The good news is that we had a pretty good Saturday, to boost us back up and yesterday was good too! Gizi came to visit on Saturday and brought me a bunch of baked stuff! (She's my favorite néni--the one from Veszprém, if you remember). She couldn't stay for too long, but it was good to talk to her for a few minutes. I would definitely go back and serve there, if given the option. However, I have been in this same district (Székes and Veszprém together) and zone for 7 months already, and I'm feeling like it's been an eternity, so maybe not. Haha.

The people came back again yesterday and cleaned our house with some strong substance that is supposed to kill all the cockroaches, since the fumigation in November didn't work. We're hoping. They also replaced like 8 light bulbs that had all burned out. We've been living in half-darkness for a while now. Haha! I don't know if I ever told you about our ghetto Christmas-tree lights that we've been using as our light in the bathroom? We decided we still like those more than the bathroom lights. They've been out since before I even got here, over 3 months ago, so this is the first time I've seen them. To add to our great week, we had one of our upstairs neighbors come down stairs Sunday night during weekly planning and yell at us on behalf of our neighbors for complaining that there were still cockroaches in our building. What? Yeah, I wrote it right. Apparently, when we left our landlord know that we were still living with cockroaches, he notified the building owner and they went around to everyone, telling them that they all had to pay to get their apartments cleaned too, to rid the entire apartment for good. So the good news is that our apartment and neighbors hate us now, because, according to the guy yelling at us, it's completely normally to live with 10, 15, 20 cockroaches every day and "the poor things are just trying to get out of the rain and cold." Hahaha uh?

The story I forgot to tell you last week: One day we were tracting and trying to get into a building. Someone buzzed us in, but through the glass I saw an older lady by the mail boxes inside the building, who looked at us with a kind of shocked/unpleasant look and hurried up the stairs, which isn't an uncommon reaction. So, when we got inside, we waiting on the ground floor, so that she could get upstairs and take the elevator and not have to run away from us or come down and yell at us to get out. Haha. But, we realized she had stopped to ring a doorbell and was talking to another lady. We were creepily standing there in silence, waiting, but as soon as we heard them, we both looked at each other with big eyes. Sister Kovács just started whispering "a jehovák!" After a few minutes, we heard them move to the next door, and then, finally started coming down the stairs towards us. We quickly went around the corner and pretended to be finding a mailbox, until they got outside. As they walked by, I caught a glance of their magazines and pamphlets. Lo and behold, they were indeed JWs. Of the hundreds of buildings in this city, we somehow got into the same building that they happened to be tracting. We almost died laughing and were kind of hesitant to retract what they just tracted, but surprisingly no one told us that they had just been there. (Some days people get super angry and say that we're the 5th of 10th people to knock on their door that day. People always think that we're the JWs.) Anyway, that's my story for the day. I don't know if you knew this, but a lot of their missionaries are pretty old, either two old women or an old couple, at least here.

Anywho... Hope you all had a great week and Valentine's Day and such. Sorry I don't have too much good stuff to tell you this week. Happy Birthday on Saturday, Jenny! Weird, this is your second birthday since I left!

Love,

Sister Megan Butterfield

No comments:

Post a Comment