Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Week 9: It's Been a Really Tough Week.


3 June 2013

Hellooo,

I hope you've all been having a good week in good ol' America; it's definitely very missed right now. I can't think of too much to tell you all about this week. Hmm. We were working towards super standard, and we had everything going according to plan! Then guess what happened?! On Sunday, it was pouring and church was empty. if only one more investigator had showed up to sacrament meeting, we would have gotten super standard... at least we got standard, but it’s hard to push yourself so hard and not reach a goal because of someone else’s actions, but oh well, there’s always this week...

Speaking of rain, it’s been raining SO much lately. The weather is awful and cold, but I actually prefer it to a ton of heat.

I think you'll all get a kick out of something I had to eat today (well, if you know that I don't like pudding or jello or pie or anything of the sort...). This member had us over and…actually, first of all, we met her on the bus to her house since she was out doing errands and she sat down and started talking to my companion... about me…and was like "oh, your companion, she’s a greenie, right? Or actually, she’s probably not really a greenie right, just blonde! Ha!" and I just sat there deciding to not do anything about it. Then.... we went to her super nice house and we read a book with her and gave her a little lesson thing and then she fed us this nastyyyy cake thing that she had made. Mostly it was like she threw a bunch of stuff into the tin, like some crackers and then some broken up chocolate crackers and then some strawberry jello and some pineapple chunks and some chestnut cream on top of that and some old strawberries on top of that. She gave us huge pieces and I was literally PRAYING that I could keep it down and not throw it up. Then, to top it all off, as we left, she turned to me and was like "Hey, you speak Hungarian really well! And you read beautifully." Ha, the irony. I wonder if she realized later all the things she had been saying to my companion about me and that I understood everything. Joyyy.

Hmm, I can’t even remember anything else that happened last week, honestly. It was a really rough week for me. I finally had a bad week on my mission, but I guess I saw it coming. Meh. Still haven’t broken down and cried though. Today actually made it better though... and then it got worse again. But for a while it was really fun…we had district meeting moved to our p-day and then had a district p-day. We had a sajt night, or a cheese night. We breaded and fried cheese sticks and then put pancake batter on some candy bars and fried those. Then we went outside of the branch house here in Debrecen and I whipped for the first time! One of my elders here got a memory card for me, so I can upload pictures of it now!
I've gotten really close to the YSA (Young Single Adults) here and some of our investigators, so in some ways I am really in love with this city! I have no idea what’s happening next transfer, but Sister Perkins will probably leave. We shall see! I have interviews with president on Friday and then we have a Zone conference with the west zone next week, so the rest of the transfer will probably fly by.

I wish I could think of some funny stories to tell you all, but i can’t at the moment. I have been learning so much though! Its amazing how much I DIDNT understand the scriptures before my mission or how many basic things I didn’t fully understand until I started thinking about how in the world I’d teach them to someone else. I have learned SO much about the church, it's crazy. Even if lately, I've mostly just been wanting to come home and not deal with dumb things that have been happening, I'm really just amazed at how I possibly could have gone to church for 19 years and seminary for 5 and done everything and STILL not completely understand things that I’ve been learning and teaching other people. Everything just fits together so perfectly.

Our district meeting was super good today too, about the Atonement and how to correctly use it in our lives. I don't know how to explain it all, but it helped a lot. I loved when Elder Moses explained how instead of asking for God to get us out of certain situations or help us not have to deal with things, to realize that God has put us in certain situations and given us certain things because he needs and wants us to experience certain things and we should be praying for strength to get us through instead of just asking to get out of them.

I hope you all have a better week than I did! Love you all!

Sister Butterfield

No comments:

Post a Comment