Sunday, June 1, 2014

Week 60: Day 489: Exhaustion, 6 New Investigators, Wrestling!

May 26, 2014

Hey!

Sorry, I totally spaced on sending a group email this morning... but don't worry, I'll send a quick one now. All I have to say, is it's been a looong week. Holy cow. I don't think I've ever been so exhausted in my whole life. On our first morning together while we were getting ready, we were unpacking and I literally fell asleep laying across my suitcase. That sounds about like every morning since. I've fallen asleep partway through getting ready... Just a heads up, don't be surprised if I come home and sleep for 3 days straight in July. It's probably also because the day of transfers we had to wake up at like 4:45am to catch a 6am bus and then a 6:45am train to Budapest for my training meeting thing. Somehow, I woke up the next morning at 5:45 in panic, because I thought I had overslept on my first morning with a greenie. Nope, just read the clock wrong and it's super bright in our apartment in the mornings here...

We've just been taking it a day at a time, cause I don't really know what I'm doing either. Haha. Awkward. But, we found 6 new investigators last weekend, so that's a start! Most of them might be a little off their rockers (since they’re all like 60 years old), but I'll take it for now. Haha! We have another week of tracting ahead of us and a few programs. Which reminds me: Strangest thing happened yesterday... We had a second program with this old man that used to meet with missionaries and he was telling us about how he used to play some sport for like 10 years, but I had never heard the word before. I repeated it and asked what it meant and he was just like, "What! They don't have that sport in America?!" and I was like "no, I'm sure they do, I'm just not familiar with that word! How do you play or what does it look like?" He stood up (I figured to go get a picture or something) and came right in front of me and was just like "You might want to finish eating your cookie first" so I ate it and asked if I should stand up. As soon as I stood up, I was immediately grabbed into his arms and lifted OFF the ground. Let me paint this picture for you: This is a 70 year old man, at least a head shorter than me and we were face-to-face. Yeah. Talk about awkward. So here I am, dangling in the air, and I can see my poor greenie sitting in the chair behind him looking at me with this face like "what am I supposed to do right now? is this allowed?" and laughing super hard. He put me down and I thought I was done. Nope. He literally jumped off the ground to get up high enough to grab me in a headlock... Then he grabbed my companion in a headlock and finally sat down. He also made a comment about how red my face turned. Seems like that’s been happening a lot lately. Probably because I was laughing so hard I was crying. Moral of the story? If anyone ever says birkózás, don't ask what it means; just assume that it means wrestling.

We went to church for the first time here yesterday. Another interesting time. We got there and I had a book placed in my hands from someone in the branch presidency who told me, oh yeah, you're teaching Young Women's today! So...I taught YWs yesterday with a book I have never seen before in my life, and it definitely wasn't in English. Turns out, I'm also teaching Sunday School next week. Holla. All I have to say, is any trace of Szeged is definitely looong gone at this rate and I already miss it more than I can say. Yikes.

Oh! I hit my 16 month mark last week and my 2 months left mark. So, the countdown has officially started. I didn't actually have one, but one of the two elders here is dying with me! So we're just bugging each other all the time with countdowns. Haha! I pointed out yesterday that we only have 8 churches left, so he pointed out that we only have 2 fast Sundays. It's kind of nice to serve around someone in the same position as me, because we just egg it on all the time. I think my greenie is more excited for me to go home than I even am; she just keeps asking about boys and my plans and thinks she'll get a wedding invite from some boy at BYU while she's still out here. Ha. We'll see. She's super cute though and super green. I had no idea what that meant until now. Sometimes I forget that things in Hungary are different than other places, probably just because it's like home to me now and I didn't really even grow up in the US, so that's not really normal life to me either. Meh. Things just aren't a big deal to me anymore here; it's all just normal life. Haha!

Sorry, I was planning on taking lots of pictures and sending them for the blog, but I definitely failed at that and I don't have any for you this week... next week though, I promise! I have to run to some családi est thing with the elders... but until next week! Oh, and read "What Shall a Man Give in Exchange for His Soul?" by Elder Robert C. Gay and "Where's the Pavilion?" by Elder Eyring. Both great talks! Got me through the week and kind of changed my perspective on the last few weeks of my mission and some changes I need to make. I just have to get the strength to make them and stick to them. That's all I have for now. Love you all! Have a good week!

Love,
Sister Megan Butterfield

No comments:

Post a Comment