Monday, January 13, 2014

Week 40: Day 349: Cockroaches and Exercising and Donuts for Breakfast!

January 06, 2014

Hey everyone! (:

I have a really long list of things to write about today, but like always I'm kind of running short on time. I'll try to write really fast. haha.

I forgot to tell you last week, I found a cockroach sitting on my pillow one night when I was about to get into bed. Yeah. Definitely the highlight of that week... haha! Help! We don't even know what to do about them, but they've started migrating towards our room and we haven't found as many in the kitchen and bathroom anymore.

Can you believe it's 2014?! I literally cannot. I COME HOME THIS YEAR! Not next summer, THIS summer. So crazy! I hit my year mark THIS month. I got to Székes in November, I can't believe that it's already January! Speaking of, transfer calls come next week, so we will be emailing on Tuesday. Also, not that I'm counting days or anything (we were trying to figure out when we have to start the D&C challenge), but we have less than 200 days left! What!

I was talking to Broadhead about this the other day, sometimes I feel like I have landed on an alien planet. haha I love the missionaries in this city a ton, definitely one of my favorite combinations, but I have never been surrounded by so many people that literally love working out all the time and count calories and stuff, what? Let's just say - I ate a chocolate donut for breakfast today...with cream inside. Yeah. Sorry. haha They just live to work out, it's their favorite thing in the world. My biggest struggle is getting out of bed every morning and "working out" - AKA stretching and mayybee doing some sit-ups, squats or dancing (the latter being most likely). hahaha I just don't understand it, I mean I'm not mad about it, but I literally just want to die when I work out and it's not an actual sport. I get judged for it, but I'm not mad about it. haha I blame my asthma and all my past injuries. ;)

Hmm.. .what else is new this week? OH! I made Taco Soup for our family dinner at the branch house last night with the elders and an investigator. SO good! I miss American food! It was probably one of the best things I've had in a long time; I used your recipe, Mom! We also used our day off on New Year's Day to learn how to play this game, Canasta. I don't know if you've ever played it, but it’s really similar to Hand & Foot, just more boring. That's one thing I've missed is playing games all the time. Everyone laughs because they think it's funny that I don't get very competitive working out, but I do playing games. oops. (: I've been teaching them games lately, like Nerts. We're combining our two interests for P-Day today and going to a gym with the elders for part of the day, having some programs and then meeting up at the branch house again to play card games tonight. It's a good balance.

This week has been reallyyy good! Probably one of the best, work-wise. We put three people on bap date, had 5 people come to church and met a ton of people tracting (5 let ins in one day!). It's kind of crazy to see the difference in our work and our investigators since November. I'm stoked for next transfer (assuming that I'll still be here, which I probably shouldn't. I've learned my lesson 4 times. haha). We have two baptisms on February first (so about 3 weeks) and one on March 22, which we're going to try to move closer. We are going to challenge 5 more solid ones this week, if they have time to meet and we'll see how it goes. We haven't been able to meet with almost all of our regulars for like 3 weeks with the holidays, but hopefully it settles down soon.

I feel like my faith and my hope have increased immensely on my mission and it is so GREAT! I don't feel like I'm a perfect missionary or that I have everything down pat, but I find myself enjoying everything a lot more (like English Class, I would never have said this before, but I LOVE it) and not feeling so stressed about all of the little things. I know that there is a lot that I can improve in and that I need to do better about some things, but I don't feel the need to beat myself up in the process as I slowly work on things and get everything in order, because I don't think that's how the Lord feels about change and progress. I can see the change in my work ethic, even though I'm still not perfect. I can feel that the Lord is satisfied with my efforts, even when I fail and have to try again.

I'm also excited to put all of these things in practice when I go home as well, I'm just trying not to focus on that. I'm trying to live in the "now" and enjoy everything here, rather than worrying about what will happen at home with some people. I have to admit, sometimes (usually) it's a struggle, but I'm doing all I can think of to stay focused - praying. (I know - call me a missionary. Surprise!)

If you have a few free minutes, read "Be Meek and Lowly of Heart" by Elder Ulisses Soares from the last Conference. It's become one of my favorites! There's another one too, but I can't remember what it's called right now. Sorry...the mission has fried my brain and I can never remember anything anymore unless it's about investigators or missionary work. haha

I hope you all had a really good New Years! I'll send you some pictures next week, and I'll see you all THIS SUMMER.

Love,
Sister Megan Butterfield

No comments:

Post a Comment