Sunday, January 5, 2014

Week 39: Happy New Year! Read Book of Mormon 5 times in 2013!!!

December 30, 2013

Hey!

Happy New Year... in two days! I feel like I don't have too much to write, since I just Skyped you 5 days ago, but Christmas here was great! We did a lot of city exploring and photo shoots with the elders, so I now have stacks on stacks of pictures. I actually filled up my memory card and bought a new one, 32G! So, I should be good for the rest of my mission...and then some. haha It was only like 30 bucks! Pretty good, I think! I don't want to overload your emails though, so I probably won't send too many.

Anyway, on Christmas Eve we had District Meeting here in Székes and then went caroling in 10-stories and in the city center with the Veszprém missionaries. We went home for dinner and each opened one gift (thanks for the scarf, Grandma!). We still had a few more hours, so we went over to the branch house with the elders and played some soccer and had a giant dodge ball tournament using the balls and stuffed animals from the primary. haha Hancey and I against Bennett and Broadhead. I won't tell you the results... But, it was probably one of the funnest nights of my mission. We also acted out the nativity and one of our member friends filmed it, so I'll show it to you when I get home! Bennett was the narrator and angel, Broadhead was the shepherd and Wise Men, Hancey was Joseph and somehow I ended up being Mary. haha. We used a blanket for baby Jesus, because the only doll in there was in pretty bad shape and looked like it had coffee or something (probably hot chocolate) spilled all over it.

On Christmas, we woke up and had scrambled eggs and orange juice for breakfast and then opened presents. We headed out at like 12 to lunch with one of our investigators and the elders at her house. We had a few hours to kill before we could Skype, so we went out streeting\exploring and taking pictures with the elders. Then we Skyped! (: Afterwards, we drove around for a while, trying to find any open restaurants for dinner. We finally found one and I had the weirdest Cordon Bleu ever. haha

We were still on break for most of the 26th too, but we went out streeting with the elders and then in the afternoon we went out tracting with them, which was funny. Kinda sketchy, cause the 26th is still considered Christmas here in Hungary, so we weren't sure how people would accept us, but it wasn't too bad. That night, Sister Broadhead and I went over to our branch president's house for dinner and we played some Monopoly Empire with his two little step-sons and they're the cutest, most well-behaved kids!

We were supposed to go on splits with our Sister Training Leaders from Friday to Saturday, but they actually called us and told us that something else had come up and President had called them and asked to cancel our splits because "he's not worried about us" or our work. hahaha. I'll take that as a good sign? So, it all worked out, because even with a two day break, we still somehow managed to get Super Standard again. We've been seeing cool stuff out here and have a lot of promising new investigators that are referrals from people and that we tracted into.

On Saturday night, we went to this pizza and gyros place that elder Bennett has been wanting to try for ages. I'll send you a picture of how huge my gyro was...bigger than my face. And it was in normal, thick bread, not pita. I had to finish it all, just to say I did. haha It was a struggle, but Hungary has been training me well. I also had to try the nastiest food the other day... pretty much a cube of fat in the consistency of Jell-O. I'll have to steal some pictures of it from the elders.

We had a challenge from Elder Texeiera, the Area President who came to our Zone Conference in October, to read the Book of Mormon all the way through this year starting on October 31. I finished! Which makes that 4 times that I've finished it on my mission and 5 times that I finished it within 2013! My all-time record. haha. My goal is to finish Jesus the Christ (I'm about halfway through), the Pearl of Great Price, the Book of Mormon in Hungarian (almost there) and the D&C challenge by the time I come home in just over 6 months. It's weird to think that it's coming that fast and that I'll be Skyping you again in 4 and a half months.

Hope you all have a happy New Year and a good New Year's Eve! Love you all!

Sister Megan Butterfield

Hancey and I. (Our dodgeball team, one MTC district vs. the other)

Standin' in no-man's-land.

Playing Uno with one of the part-member families that we teach here! I love these cute girls!

Our Christmas lunch at Kati néni's apartment!

Our investigator, Kati! (Yes, we bought matching and yes, we did wear them on the same day!)

An interesting bike rack we found while street exploring.

Cool staircase.

Pantless statue?

His hand was too big to hold... and his sword was poking me. Haha!

The giant gyros I destroyed!

All gone!

And learning to tie ties. This was my first try... I may not have kept the big end long enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment